Heard it in a Love Song…
It’s February and love is in the air, and I am loving it! Love is one of those things you can’t buy, rent or manufacture but it is like oxygen. It helps make everything else worthwhile. And, in February there are all kinds of cool things to celebrate—National Hot Breakfast Month, Library Lovers Month, Bake for Family Fun Month, and Heart Month. As a special treat, from my heart to yours, I am resorting to my favorite love songs for today’s wisdom.
- “What the world needs now is love sweet love,… no, not just for some, but for everyone”[i]: Considering the confusion, chaos, dis/mis/no trust swirling between /among/about us, imagine how wonderful our world would be if we were more tolerant, interested and patient with our friends, neighbors and those who are different. Imagine how much happier we would be if we treated everyone the way God treats us…which brings me to my next song…
- “Put a little love in your heart and the world will be a better place:”[ii] Enough said;
- “Love can build a bridge between your heart and mine…Don’t you think it’s time?”[iii] My great-grandmother used to tell me after my millionth questions, “There’s enough you don’t know to make a whole brand new world.” She was right. There’s so much we don’t know about this or that or this place but we do know (1) we must protect the children and teach them respect, compassion and empathy; (2) We must know that a smile in any language speaks volumes; (3) We can build walls but bridges last longer; and yes, it’s time;
- “Up where we belong:” “Who knows what tomorrow brings in a world few hearts survive…Some hang on to used to be, live their lives looking behind. All we have is here and now…”[iv] these powerful words are a poignant reminder how precious time is and how important our learned lessons are. Take time today to be kind to yourself, then assess who you want to be, and where you want to be, and understand yes, the road ahead may be difficult but if you keep putting one foot in front of the other, you will reach your destination;
- “I just called to say I love you…”[v] My brother Carey sends me texts to say he loves me and I’m on his mind. His messages always make my day so I work to pay it forward. The few minutes it takes to call, send a note, pray for or reach out to somebody who’s on your mind will be the best time you invest this week. Valentine’s Day is a perfect time to send a note to someone who’s lost a spouse, who may be having a tough time or just needs a giggle, kind word or a friendly voice.
Please share some of your favorites and celebrate “My Way Day” February 17. “Let the record show, I took the blows and did it myyyyyyy way!!!”[vi]
[i] “What the world needs now,” written by Burt Bacharach
[ii] “Put a little love in your heart,” written by Jackie DeShannon, Randy Myers and Jimmy Holiday
[iii] “Love can build a bridge, written by Naomi Judd, Paul Overstreet and John Barlow Jarvis
[iv] “Up where we belong,” written by Jack Nitzsche, Buffy Saint-Marie, Will Jennings
[v] “I just called…” written by Stevie Wonder
[vi] “My way,” written by Claude Francois, Gilles Thibaut, Jacques Revaux, Paul Anka